Friday, July 26, 2019

Coconut Cashew Protein Balls Recipe

I love LARABAR Original Fruit & Nut Bars. What's not to love about dates, nuts, and spices?  These bars are rich and decadent with good for you ingredients.  I often reach for a LARABAR when I'm craving something sweet and trying to be good.  Emphasis on trying.  Even though LARABARs are often sold among protein bars I would argue they are not a protein bar considering they average 3-5 grams of protein per bar.  However, what they lack in protein they more than make up for in flavor and texture.  LARABARs are soft and moist and not the protein bar bricks I grew up with that my mom used to share with our family dog during long runs.  Totally not making that up.  My former dog loved peanut butter flavored PowerBars.  She also loved GU gel, which at the time was the only soft protein product around.  Who else remembers the weird goodness that was GU?

I've been experimenting with recipes in search of making my own protein treat that's not a dry brick.  After a few failures (I gave up on protein cookies) I believe I finally achieved what I set out to do with this recipe.  These protein balls are soft and moist (I have to stop saying "moist") and don't have that artificial protein taste found in so many commercial protein goods.  I would describe them as LARABAR Cashew Cookie meets Trader Joe's Coconut Cashews.  And if you have tried either, they are both equally awesome.

You can still make these protein balls even if you don't have coconut flavored protein powder lying around.  Vanilla would be a substitute with a similar taste.   I'm sure chocolate would also be good, however, I'm more of a vanilla gal.  Actually I'm more sprinkles, but I've completely lost track of the direction of this post.  Just remember the flavor profile will be different if you use a different protein powder or nut butter flavor.  If you do go rouge, and we all know I'm a fan of going rouge, let me know how your protein balls turned out in the comments below.

Coconut Cashew Protein Balls 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 scoop coconut flavored whey protein powder, approximately 1/4 cup (I like and use ISOPURE Low Carb Protein Powder in Toasted Coconut)
3 tablespoons hemp seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
4 tablespoons cashew butter
1 tablespoon agave nectar*
2-3 tablespoons water
Optional: extra coconut flakes to roll balls in

Directions:
1.  Put all ingredients except optional coconut flakes into food processor.  Pulse until ingredients are incorporated and dough is soft.  If dough is dry and crumbly add one tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is achieved
2. Roll dough into 1 inch sized balls
3. Optional: roll formed balls in extra coconut flakes

Enjoy immediately or bring these protein balls with you for an on the go delicious, protein-packed treat.

* For a sweeter protein ball use 2 tablespoons agave and 2 tablespoons water in above recipe

No comments :

Post a Comment