Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Chocolate Covered Coco-Nut Stuffed Dates


I keep saying I’m going to blog more, but life...  Speaking of life, these last two weeks with my new son, Luke, have been amazing and so much easier than with Carter.  But Luke already has a very different temperament than Carter, who had bothersome reflux and colic from earlier on.  Also this isn’t my first rodeo.  Anything is easier when you know what to expect. Like lack of sleep, breast engorgement, nursing every one to three hours with cluster feeding, changing 13-15 diapers a day… But it is all worth it! 


To get this little one into the world I casually tried a few wives tales to help make my cervix favorable.  Like eating date after date after date.  Did it work?  No idea.  But in full disclosure I couldn’t eat dates every day, let alone 6 dates a day, which is the recommendation for softening the cervix.  It’s not that I don’t like dates, I love them, but they are crazy calorie dense and I tried to save my calories for my nightly slice of carrot cake.  Don’t you judge me!  The pregnancy cravings are real.  And flash forward to two weeks postpartum and I’m still craving sweets, specifically those that are both salty and sweet like these stuffed dates.  But it’s all good since breastfeeding burns tons of calories... right?  Treat. Yo. Self.  I always do.  So why don't you take a page from my book and treat yo self to these delicious chocolate covered coconut and nut stuffed dates.

Chocolate Covered Coco-Nut Stuffed Dates


Ingredients:
  • 8 Medjool dates*
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used a mix of 1/8 cup walnuts and 1/8 cup pecans)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened flake coconut
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 50 grams semi sweet chocolate chips or melting chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • Optional: hemp seeds
Directions:
1. Remove pit by slicing the dates lengthwise with a sharp knife to expose pit.  Remove pits and discard.  Set pitted dates aside until step 3


2. In a small bowl combine nuts, honey, coconut, and salt


3. Stuff each date with the nut mixture ensuring to pack the nut mixture into the dates 


4. Pinch the cut edges of the date closed over the nut mixture


5. Place dates on parchment lined baking sheet and place in freezer while preparing the chocolate dipping sauce

6. Melt chocolate for dipping.  I use a double boiler method by bringing 1 inch of water in a small sauce pan to a boil. As water boils add chocolate and oil to a small glass bowl. Once boiling, place glass bowl over sauce pan (the glass bowl should sit above the boiling water, but not touch it)


8. Stir chocolate and oil frequently until melted and incorporated.  Remove melted chocolate from heat and immediately go to step 9


9. Remove dates from freezer and dip stuffed dates halfway into chocolate.  Place dates back on parchment lined baking sheet to harden


Optional: You can stop at step 9 before placing dipped dates in fridge to harden or you can add a few sprinkles of hemp seeds while chocolate is still warm for added crunch and contrast of color (aesthetics people)


10. Place finished dates in fridge until chocolate sets, approximately 10 minutes.  Leave in fridge until ready to serve


And enjoy!  Preferably with a glass of something bubbly and fabulous.  


I dare you to try to eat just one.

* This recipe is best with fresh dates, however, if your dates are starting to dry out you can add life to them again by soaking them in hot water for a minute.  Dry dates thoroughly before stuffing.  

No comments :

Post a Comment