Saturday, February 16, 2019

Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies

During my last pregnancy my high risk doctor friend (ya, I know people) told me I needed to eat peanut butter to help reduce the chances of my son having a peanut allergy.  This conversation occurred somewhere in my third trimester.  Up until that point I rarely, if at all, ate any peanut products.  I wouldn't say I had an aversion, but I most definitely didn't crave peanuts or peanut butter.  Lucky for me, or perhaps lucky for Carter, my son doesn't have a peanut allergy.  But of course he hates peanut butter, both texture and taste.  He did, however, smile through half of a cookie before signing to me that he was "all done."

This time around I have been making an effort to consume peanut products to help reduce baby Della Favorite #2's chance of having a peanut allergy.  These cookies are delicious and satisfying, without being overly sweet.  They are also light on the sugar, especially if you use a sugar substitute, and who doesn't like a surprise filling?  Am I right?
You know I am.  If you love peanut butter and chocolate then this recipe is for you.

Some notes before we begin.  For a lower sugar option use Swerve or another sugar substitute, but these are light on the sugar even if you use the real thing.  You can substitute peanut butter for the nut butter of your choosing.  Also feel free to freeze the peanut butter filling for longer than 20 minutes, but I would not freeze them any less since they quickly soften with handling.  I ended up freezing my filling for about an hour as I got interrupted by a screaming toddler in the middle of my cookie making.  They still came out marvelous!
 
Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies
Makes 10 cookies
Ingredients:
   Peanut Butter Filling: 
  • 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
   Chocolate Cookie Dough:
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
   Cinnamon Sugar Mix:
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions:
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In medium bowl combine 6 tablespoons peanut butter and powdered sugar until fully combined
3. Divide peanut butter mixture into 10 mounds on parchment lined baking sheet.  Freeze peanut butter filling for 20 minutes until hardened
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5.  In a medium bowl combine cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside for step 8
6. In large bowl combine butter,  sugars, and remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.  Then add in egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated
7. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredient and mix until fully combined to make chocolate cookie dough
 8.  Separate chocolate cookie dough into 10 balls
9. Remove peanut butter from freezer and immediately start step 10
10. Flatten chocolate cookie dough into a thin disk and add 1 piece of peanut butter filling to the center of the disk

11. Roll chocolate cookie dough around peanut butter into a ball so you can't see the peanut butter filling. Continue with remaining chocolate cookie dough and peanut butter filling until you have 10 balls filled with the peanut butter mixture
12. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Roll cookie balls into cinnamon sugar mix and place on parchment lined baking sheet
13. Flatten balls until about 1/4 inch thick with hands or fork.  I like to make a lattice pattern



16. Bake at preheated oven for 9 minutes until set and then transfer to cooling rack


While you can eat these at room temperature they are so much better when warmed.  I recommend allowing the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving with a nice glass of milk.

No comments :

Post a Comment