Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Happy Birthday Carter!

I have this cool picture frame at work from Artifact Uprising that holds 12 pictures.  Each morning when I come to work I move the picture from the day before to the back of the stack to reveal a new picture.  How fitting that our first family picture taken shortly after you were born is the picture of the day you were born.  
This was hands down the happiest and proudest moment of my life.  You made me feel stronger, more important, and more loved than anyone else had ever made me feel in a matter of seconds.  And I never knew how much love I had in my heart until I held you for the first time and the you looked at me like you had known me and loved me for a lifetime.  Powerful stuff.  

I remember where I was this exact moment 365 days ago.  I was still pregnant on my way to the hospital.  I had been feeling mild menstrual cramping and thought you would be coming in the next few days because, let's be real, latent labor can last for days and the first baby is on average 10 days late.  But no I was 4 cm, really feeling the strength of the contractions at this point, and off to the hospital I went.  And a few hours later you made your fast and furious appearance.  And not to brag, but my doctor did tell me how amazing I was.  Ok I had to brag a little...

This last year has been amazing.  You have grown so much.  You continue to be sweet and curious and make everyone around you crack up with your belly laughs.  You are starting to take "baby steps", walk run with assistance, and can stand on your own.  You say dada, mama, baba (bottle), hi, bye, and I'm convinced something along the lines of "I ruv youuu."  You blow kisses, wave, high five, and give hugs.  Probably my most favorite thing you do is stare at strangers and as soon as they look your way give the biggest, two bottom toothed grin and wave hello.  Clearly I'm going to have to start giving you the stranger danger talk! 

I've also grown so much this last year.  You've taught me unconditional love, patience, and made me reevaluate what is important in this life.  I'm at such a good place and I have you to thank for it.  Thank you for inadvertently making me better and I will continue to try to achieve my best potential for you.  

While I wish I could have stayed home with you I know you are at daycare having a blast with the other little swaddlers.  I'm sure right now you are either playing outside "weather permitting", having another snack, or getting into shenanigans.   I hope you have an amazing, fun filled day and can't wait to celebrate you tonight. You are the best son already. I love you forever and wish you endless joy and happiness. 

Happy 1st Birthday Carter!  I love you!

No comments :

Post a Comment