Monday, July 17, 2017

Steak Salad

Day 2 and more veggies consumed.

LUNCH
For lunch I ate last night's leftovers.  Wasn't really craving fajita filling, but I hate throwing food away and the whole point of this week is to eat all the items in my CSA box, not waste.  More about my week's goal here.


Thus I took one for the team. 

DINNER
Starting around the third trimester I started craving red meat, which is not my norm.  My husband is in heaven.  We eat a lot of steak salad because it is quick, easy, and relatively healthy.  Plus we get a lot of different lettuce types since getting our first CSA box and the lettuce is delicious.  It tastes so much better than the packaged (and washed) lettuce you buy at the grocery store.  The only thing I dislike about the lettuce is it is not washed so I have to make an extra effort to get rid of the dirt and creepy crawlies.  Easiest way to clean lettuce is to submerge it in cold water.  

 
I repeat this a number of times until the dirt and bugs settle to the bottom of the bowl before I transfer the lettuce to a salad spinner.
 
 
We generally don't finish a bag of lettuce in one sitting so I make sure to spin, spin, spin the lettuce in the salad spinner, dump out the water, and then spin, spin, spin the lettuce again.  And dump out more water repeating this process until I get the lettuce as dry as possible.  If you thoroughly dry your lettuce it will stay crisp in an airtight container for up to a week.  You're welcome.   

So dinner was delicious.  We made DIY salads using the fresh Jersey corn in our box warm off the grill, mini heirloom tomatoes, filet mignon, and red onions and feta for me and blue cheese for him.


Happy Campers!  Now since we ate "low carb" we theoretically should be able to have dessert right?  Let's be real, we would have had dessert either way.

Remaining veggies:
- A few mixed greens leftover from tonight
- Yellow squash and 2 zucchini
- Some purple onion
- Bag of Swiss chard / spinach (not sure yet what it is)
- Bag of basil
- 2 cobs of corn

No comments :

Post a Comment