Sunday, July 16, 2017

Eat your veggies

I get a CSA box every Sunday because I firmly believe in supporting local farmers.  Plus, my mom treated us to this box for the second time because organic ain't cheap!  My husband and I try to meal prep on Sunday's to make sure we utilize everything in our box.  Emphasis on try.  We generally start the week out strong cooking what we planned to make and eating lots of veggies.  However, by the end of the week we are both tired and end up ordering take out and what's left of the box goes in the trash (sorry cilantro... we're not huge fans) or gets chopped up and frozen to use later (onions from last week).  Not this week!

My goal is to try and eat all the vegetables in the CSA box without having to toss a single item.  To be accountable I am documenting how I eat the box veggies along the way.


This week we got:
- Bag of mixed greens
- Yellow squash and 2 zucchini
- 3 purple onions
- Bag of Swiss chard / spinach (not sure yet what it is)
- Bag of basil
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 corn

LUNCH
Lunch we utilized a few basil leaves after stopping by the deli to get fresh Italian bread, store made mozzarella, and garlic marinated sundried tomatoes. 


And because this fresh sandwich was so good topped with imported balsamic I decided to have another.


And I would have had another, but we ran out of bread. 

DINNER
For dinner I racked my brain on what to make that incorporated both bell peppers and onions and the husband picked fajitas.


You can make fajitas fancy or you can make them super easy.  I chose the later.  I like to make fajitas on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper because I can season the veggies and meat without dirtying a bowl and clean up is as easy as grab parchment paper and drop in trash.  BOOM.  

Pan Chicken Fajitas
Serves: 2-3

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast
2 bell peppers
2 small onions
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon olive oil
Seasoning (I make my own, see below)

Seasoning recommendation:
1-2 teaspoons Adobo (depending on my mood...I love salt)
1.5 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon (Spanish) paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut chicken into small strips (I recommend about 1/2 inch by 3-4 inches)
3. Thinly slice bell pepper and onions.  Chop garlic
4. Combine chicken, peppers, onions, and garlic on parchment lined cooking sheet
5. Top chicken and veggies with seasoning and olive oil


6.  Mix, mix, mix until evenly coated


7.  Spread chicken and veggies out making sure that chicken is not overlapping

 
8.  Bake for 25 minutes flipping the mixture halfway through
9.  Serve with warmed tortillas, lime juice, and the condiments of your choosing

Remaining veggies:
- Bag of mixed greens
- Yellow squash and 2 zucchini
- 1 purple onion
- Bag of Swiss chard / spinach (not sure yet what it is)
- Bag of basil
- 4 corn

No comments :

Post a Comment