Friday, March 17, 2017

Roasted Asparagus

Tuesday I shared my Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes recipe and promised to share how I make roasted asparagus.


Asparagus is not only delicious, but it's a natural diuretic (hello skinny!) so be prepared for some pungent urine.  If you ask me, it is a small price to pay for a bloat free belly.  While asparagus is easy to make, it is also quickly destroyed if you overcook it.  I, like my father, prefer vegetables to have a crunch to them.  This recipe is perfect for that.  When the asparagus is a vibrant green color it is cooked with said crunch.  Yum!

Now if you are in the camp that prefers vegetables to be overcooked then this recipe is not for you. Once the asparagus turns a dull, dark green color then you've achieved mushy and stringy asparagus.  Edible, but not ideal.

Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients:
  • Bunch of asparagus (literally one bunch, not a whole lot)
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1-2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese depending on how cheesy you like it

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat baking dish with cooking spray
2.  Wash asparagus, dry, and remove ends (I do the bend and snap technique)
3.  Place asparagus in the baking dish and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder, and half the cheese
4. Once tossed sprinkle remaining cheese over asparagus and bake for 12-15 minutes until asparagus is tender to your liking (I like a little bite)
Note: The color change is slight, but you can see in the pictures that the asparagus takes on a more bright green shade
5.  Serve and enjoy.  I recommend pairing it with my Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes recipe and the protein of your choosing

No comments :

Post a Comment