Monday, April 11, 2016

Oat Bran Protein Pudding

I'm not a vegetarian since I do eat meat.  I go through phases, however, were meat really grosses me out.  Expect for bacon.  I always love bacon.  Unless I'm making a conscious effort, I often do not eat a lot of protein in my diet, which leaves me tired and hungry.  I could live off cereal, both cold and hot, and found a way to make cereal more filling, which leads me to today's post.

My friend turned me on to Isopure protein powders since I kind of have an obsession with protein powder in general.  I've tried lots of brands, which are decent (Syntrax Nectar, Designer Protein) and others that are just plain disgusting (Raw, Organic Protein).  Currently I'm all about Isopure Zero Carb protein powders.  They are rich, luxurious, come in a number of mouthwatering flavors, and leave me full and content.  Plus I can cook with them.

When I'm home, or have time in the morning, I make oat bran.  What can I say, I like old lady cardigans and old lady food.  Oat bran is cheap and full of healthy carbs and fiber, but it is boring on its own.  And like oatmeal, it doesn't always fill me up for long.  This is my take on making oat bran protein packed so I can stay full and have a productive morning.

Oat Bran Protein Pudding
Ingredients:
1/3 cup of dry oat bran
3 ounces liquid egg whites
5 ounces liquid (water, milk, nut milk)
1 packet stevia (or other sweetener of your choice)
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon (depending on the protein powder I'm adding I sometimes omit this)
1 scoop protein powder
Toppings of your choice (fruit, milk, half and half, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc.)

Directions:
1. Combine oat bran, egg whites, liquid, stevia, and spices in a microwave safe container, mix well.
2. Cook oat bran mixture in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, remove and stir well.
3. Continue cooking for a total of 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed making sure to stir the oat bran mixture every 30 seconds.
4. Once cooked mix in protein powder.

You can eat the oat bran as is or with the toppings of your choice.

But do not, and I repeat, DO NOT forget to mix the oat bran mixture every 30 seconds.  The goal is creamy, well blended texture.
Currently I've been making Strawberries and Cream Oat Bran Protein Powder using Isopure Zero Carb Strawberries and Cream.
That color!  It reminds me of the awesome, and oh so sugary, oatmeal I used to love as a kid.  
For those who follow Smart Points this breakfast is 4-6 Smart Points depending on how you make your oat bran and the protein powder you use.  Not bad for a filling, healthy meal.

Plus see that yummy creation in the top corner?  Any idea what it is?  Recipe here.

Enjoy and happy, healthy eating!

No comments :

Post a Comment