Sunday, April 24, 2016

Oatmeal Raisin Candy Pizza

Well a few days went by and I didn't post my candy pizza recipe, but I am here, I have a few minutes, and we're doing it.  Better late than never right?  I've been making candy pizzas since I was a little girl.  I would bring these to soccer games and parties and they would be devoured in minutes.  Even at a young age there was something about seeing other people enjoying my food that made me feel happy.  

I created this candy pizza recipe after staring at a surplus of oatmeal that neither my husband or I wanted to eat.
My husband likes his oatmeal sweet and apparently Trader Joe's Oatmeal Complete is not sweet enough.  Honestly, I never tried this because I try and stay away from foods with added sugars as they make my sugar cravings more intense.

I had a trusty pizza pan that I had used and abused for years, but sadly it had to go to retirement.  I ordered the above pizza pan on Amazon, not realizing that it was a 10 inch pan.  This ended up being a perfect size pan for a small group (I made this for a party of 10 and everyone got a large slice).  You can make this for a larger party with a standard sized pizza pan just make sure to double the recipe.  I normally make chocolate chip cookie as the base, but any cookie (sugar, peanut butter, snickerdoodle) can be substituted.  Feel free to use your imagination!  

OATMEAL RAISIN CANDY PIZZA
Ingredients
1/2 cup of flour
3/4 cup of instant flavored oatmeal (I used 2 packets of Trader Joe's Complete Brown Sugar and Maple Oatmeal)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 stick butter, softened 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 beaten egg
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1.5 ounces semi sweet chocolate (chocolate chips or chopped chocolate chunks)
Peanut butter
Toppings of choice (candy, shredded coconut, powder sugar, sprinkles)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a 10 inch pizza pan with parchment paper
3. In a small bowl mix flour, oatmeal, and baking powder.  Reserve for later
4. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl
5. Add egg, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Mix until incorporated
6. Mix in the oatmeal dry mix and raisins   
7. Place all the cookie dough on a parchment paper lined pizza pan  
8.  Flatten dough evenly over the pan in the shape of a pizza
9.  Bake cookie for 15 mins or until cookie dough is cooked through
10.  While the cookie is cooking chop the candy into small pieces.  Reserve for later after we spread the cookie pizza
11.  Once the cookie is done cooking immediately top it with chocolate chips and peanut butter so it can soften and spread easily.  (I use about 2-4 tablespoons peanut butter, but I don't normally measure this.) As the peanut butter and chocolate begin to soften spread the mixture evenly over the cookie leaving the "crust" as if you were spreading sauce on pizza dough
12.  Immediately top with the toppings of your choice.  As everything cools it will stick together 

No comments :

Post a Comment