Saturday, August 1, 2015

Gluten Free Mock English Muffins

I first went gluten free around 2010 when I was having stomach issues.  I felt better, but it was hard for me to maintain that type of lifestyle with a partner who didn't want to go gluten free and trying to maintain a social life.  Back then there was gluten free products, but not many.  So I quickly abandoned that way of eating.  Fast forward to today.  My stomach issues never went away I just learned to deal and stop complaining about them because frankly no one cares if your stomach constantly hurts or you always feel bloated.  People have their own issues.  I have been gluten free for a few weeks now and I have felt great.  Granted I "cheated" and ate wheat products for a few days and felt like utter crap.  What I have come to realize is that cheating for me isn't worth it.  It takes my body much longer to recover when I indulge.

One of my challenges is that my husband does not eat gluten free.  He likes what he likes and I have to respect that just like he has to respect that I need to eat this way for my well being.  So I have been experimenting with many different recipes to make a gluten free friendly bread that makes a single serving.  I have finally made one that I feel is worthy of sharing.  My secret?  Chia seeds.  Chia seeds not only absorb excess liquid, but they are natural binders.  When I started adding chia seeds I found that my bread held much better, but still maintained substance while being light and airy.  This recipe is great for the bread component of many sandwiches from grilled cheese to BLTs to PB&J and a juicy burger.

Gluten Free Mock English Muffins / Buns
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter + 1/2 Tablespoon butter for toasting muffin
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tablespoon almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1 Teaspoon - 1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds (based on preference)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder

Serves: 1 bun or 2 halves

Nutrition: 194 cals, 5 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 18g fat, 8g protein (I used 1 teaspoon of chia seeds and unsweetened vanilla almond milk...nutrition may vary based on ingredients used.)

Directions:
1. Combine 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter, coconut flour, egg, and almond milk in a microwave safe small ramekin.  Make sure to mix until combine, but don't over mix.
2. Add in chia seeds and baking powder.  Mix until combined.
3. Cook for 1 minute 30 seconds on high.  Carefully take out the ramekin as it will be very hot! 
4. With a sharp knife loosen the edges of the muffin from the ramekin.  Allow the muffin to cool for about 5 minutes.
It's ok if your muffin has a bubble or is not completely flat.  We can fix this...see notes.  
5. Meanwhile melt 1/2 Tablespoon butter in small pan over medium heat.
6. Invert the ramekin on a cutting board.  The muffin should fall out in one solid piece.
  7. Cut the muffin in half with a sharp knife.
8. Cook each muffin side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes depending on your heat.
9. Enjoy with the fillings of your choice.
Today's craving: a grilled cheese and avocado.  It's amazing and caloric!    

Notes:
  • If making something sweet try substituting coconut oil for butter in recipe.  Also try adding some sweeter.  
  • Any type of milk may be used.  I often use half and half or coconut milk instead of almond milk depending on what I have available.  
  • Use more chia seeds if using milk and less if using thicker consistency milks like coconut milk.  Remember: chia seeds will absorb liquid and are a great binder, while keeping these muffins light and airy.  Too much chia seeds, however, will make these muffins denser.  
  • If you are making a melt,  place whichever side of the muffin you don't want to be seen (i.e. the bubble) in the pan first since you still want to toast each side of the muffin.  That way when you flip the "the bubble side" over to toast the edge you want to be exposed, "the bubble side" will be warm enough to begin melting the filling of choice (see picture under step 8).  When I make my grilled cheese I like to let the cheese start to melt open face then close the sandwich and continue grilling and flipping each side until the cheese is melted.  This helps to ensure the bread browns, but not burns.  Just make sure to keep a close eye on it.  

A sweet muffin recipe will be add in the near future.

No comments :

Post a Comment