Thursday, August 11, 2016

Dishwasher Safe Glitter Dip



So there are two things that are true about me: I love shinny things and I love DIY projects.  Perhaps it's because I'm an only child and growing up I often had to entertain myself.  I've been glitter dipping things for awhile and I will say the more I do these projects the better they get.  I posted a YouTube video demonstrating how to glitter dip, but I've changed my technique and tools and am so happy with the results.  And now it is dishwasher safe!  

What you will need:

  • Item to glitter dip (mug, vase, bowl, etc.)
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Cotton balls
  • Painters tape
  • Fine loose glitter (I love Martha Stewart's glitters)
  • Foam paint brush
  • Dishwasher safe Mod Podge
  • Newspaper
  • Patience!  


Directions:

  1. Apply newspaper for your work area.  
  2. Clean the item you are glitter dipping with rubbing alcohol.
  3. Apply painters tape above where you want your glitter to stop making sure to leave some room at the top of the item if it is a beverage container (I recommend at least an inch).  If you want your handle glitter dip also apply tape to the handle.
  4. Apply a thin layer of mod podge.
  5. Immediately cover with glitter.  Note: For the look I did I used different colors of glitter for an ombre effect.  I start from one side applying the lightest to darkest shades of glitter in thin sections.  Of course I pour the glitter over different pieces of newspaper so I can recycle the fall off.
  6. Let cup sit for at least 1 hour. 
  7. Apply another thin coat of mod podge.
  8. Cover with another layer of glitter as directed in step 5.  
  9. Let cup sit again for at least 1 hour.
  10. Apply one final thin coat of mod podge and let item set uninterrupted for 28 days.  (Yes I wrote 28!)
  11. Wash the item and enjoy

No comments :

Post a Comment