Monday, December 14, 2015

Almond, Banana, and Flax Pancakes

I don't know about you, but I LOVE breakfast.  I never met a breakfast that I didn't like.  Maybe I'm too friendly?

I've been craving IHOP's Harvest Grain 'N Nut pancakes, but I've resisted the temptation and the subsequent stomach ache post pancake overload consumption.  As a result I've been experimenting with healthier alternatives that will still give me my grain and nut fix, without the gluten or any  subsequent ailments.

I hope you enjoy my latest recipe and let me know what you think.  My version is gluten free friendly, but adjust ingredients to your liking.  These pancakes are small, but are quite filling.

Almond, Banana, and Flax Pancakes

Serves 1

Ingredients:
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 tablespoon whole flax seed
1 egg white
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon almond milk, more if desired for thinner consistency
1/3 banana, sliced

Directions:
1. Pulse almonds in a food processor until you get a fine, almost flour like consistency.

Or you can just buy almond meal, but what's the fun of that?

2. Reserve almonds to small bowl.  Add flax seeds to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.


3. Add chopped flax seeds to almonds.  Add the additional ingredients (egg white, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, milk, and banana) and mix until just combined.  The mixture will look like natural almond butter.  



4. Cook pancakes until golden brown (about 3 minutes per side) over medium high heat in a pan coated with cooking spray (or coconut oil).


5. Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.


Nutritional content (approximated)*:
262 calories
18 grams fat
11 grams protein
18 grams carbs
6 grams fiber
*Nutritional content does not include toppings. 


No comments :

Post a Comment